Skip to main content

Reply to "Fingers off the seams???"

justbaseball posted:
roothog66 posted:
Dominik85 posted:

2 or 4 seam? I think a low spin 4 seamer is never good.

however I would not try to tinker with that yet and Focus on developing command and Velo.

So, a serious question because, after 35 years of coaching I still don't have an answer; how do you "develop" command?

It is a good/serious question.  I don't know the answer really - our older son tells me that he ultimately moved into a reliever role in pro ball because he didn't have the same command that starters have.  Why couldn't he be trained to have more of it?

But a clue to the 'develop' part that may be worth something?  Our younger son, who has such good command that at times he has been coached in pro ball to throw pitches more out of the zone on purpose at times.  In his HS program (different from older son's and one of the best), nearly every bullpen came with a command and control "game."  PC would award points, hamburgers, milk shakes, whatever....to the pitchers for winning a 'game' of locating their pitches.  The program in general had high rewards for locating pitches in practices and games.  Pretty much a mindset, embedded in his brain.

Don't know if that is largely responsible?  Or maybe its just a skill not everyone has?  But I gotta believe that four HS years had more than a little impact on his command.

I think generally teams want every pitcher to be a starter but at some point they want to see results. If you are a power arm and you are 22 with 4 minor league years they might prefer that he becomes a good reliever instead of waiting more years for something that might never come. But if you are 19 and in your second  year they probably give you more chances.

I also read that small market teams often give more chances to Start because they cant buy SP while big market and contending teams might prefer quick help from the pen.