Skip to main content

Reply to "First Base Lead Off and Return"

quote:
Originally posted by Daque:
I agree (whatever that means) with Deacon. I like the player to shuffle rather than walk because his feet are always in position for a dive return. Taking that left step, rather than shuffle, puts his body in a poor position for a return as soon as that foot elevates.

I note that the concensus is a dive return. Yes with a line behind the bag. Yes with the reach with the right hand to the bag. Yes with turning the head away from the pitcher for the reasons given. But one facet is missing.

What do you tell your runners about the left hand on the return?

Good point Daque. I can't honestly say that much time is spent on the left hand. Actually I'd be lying to say I teach anything with that hand and I may well start now. I am primarily coaching my sons teams of 10-12 year olds so if I can get them to lead correctly and return with the right hand I think they're doing pretty good. The left hand can be where it goes as long as they are getting back correctly.

As I see it the left hand is most naturally going to be by the left side as the runner dives back in with right hand to left corner of bag. The momentum of the move back to the bag should have the right arm reaching for the bag and the left reaching back. Kind of like a freestyle swimming stroke, but more compact. Diving back in this way should give the kid the best chance of facing the proper direction on the return without much thought. Right hand forward, left hand back will kind of make a person want to turn they're head to the left. As a young player progresses you can talk about going in right handed and then drawing that hand back to avoid the tag, but that's another day.

Hope this has made sense and helps in some way.

Tim