Skip to main content

Reply to "First Game of College"

These are great stories. Any freshman that starts in D1 is fortunate and most likely considered to be an impact player down the road. Coaches really like experience so even if you are the better athlete chances are you willl have to earn your stripes in a few situations before you get to be a regular in the lineup.

We made a last minute decision to attend my sons first weekend series at VMI two years ago. It was cold and we had an evening flight back out of Richmond on Sunday that it appeared we might miss if the Sunday game went too long. Well of course we were just about to leave figuring this wouldn't be the weekend we would get to see the first at bat when sure enough he is told to start loosening up. Two outs in the bottom of the ninth trailing 8-7 man on first he is called on to pinch hit. After fouling off a couple pitches he flew out to right field to end the game. Although I wish this story had a better ending I sure am glad I was there to see his first college at bat, oh yeah and we made the flight with almost 10 minutes to spare.