Skip to main content

Reply to "First Highschool Baseball Team Try-Out"

Sophomore year of high school my son has Varsity try outs.  I had to go to San Francisco to let people go. I head out to SF the night before the tryouts. High stress. About to ruin two peoples life.  I do what I have to before 8am est. walking the streets of SF in the dark and call my wife to let her know it’s over and I will take next flight home.  She tells me son is “sick” and is not going to school/tryouts.  I get home many hours of stewing later. He’s hiding from me. I take apart his computer and hide it.  He was playing games all day and in my opinion playing hooky. Luckily it didn’t cost him but I told him in the future to go to school and tryouts and throw up on coaches shoes if he’s sick.  Clearly this is now horrible advice after two years of a pandemic…. Heck it was horrible advice then (although when I was a kid that’s what I would have done - simpler times - only intellevision to distract).  I Just felt like sharing my personal HS baseball tryout story and my poor advice.  Or was it poor?

Last edited by Gunner Mack Jr.