Skip to main content

Reply to "First Highschool Baseball Team Try-Out"

@Momball11 posted:

I really respect your self control as a parent.

Meanwhile, at my child's school we have an athletic director who's also the dad of a then freshman player. AD was good at staying away from the field. However, he must have some say as his son somehow was added to the Varsity roster...when he obviously wasn't at that level. Kid maybe pitched one time in a game that was pretty much over. But hey that boy can advertise that he "played" varsity.

Then the athletic director's good friend became an assistant JV coach, who's son also happened to be a JV player. Guess who had more playing time than anyone else?

I wish there was some HS rule that dad's can't be coaches, maybe with the exception for someone that's been a coach so many years before their child was tryout eligible.

One reason my son didn’t want me to be a middle school assistant was he was tired of it coming around I was paving his way in sports with favors. I was on the youth sports board, the baseball board and the basketball board. I was a league commissioner in basketball and a coach in baseball and basketball. I did so much along with a few others due to lack of volunteers.

But he was the best athlete in his grade from the elementary school playground through high school. The first time I heard “You won’t have to pay for college” he was seven.

I knew a couple of kids at our rival high school. They played travel for me from 13u to 16u. I sometimes went to watch their school games. I heard parental whining the coach was giving preferential treatment to his two boys. They both started as freshman. Maybe they shouldn’t have started as freshmen. They struggled. But the coach knew what he had. They both followed up with three all conference seasons and went D1.