Skip to main content

Reply to "First Impression - overcoming it?"

BaseballJoe,

Not necessarily.   Your definition of laying an egg may be different from a college coaches.  College coaches tend to have more far more evaluation experience than a player or his parent.  They are looking for specific things..hands through the zone, frame, attitude, late pitching movement, etc....  I

I've seen hitters go 0-for the weekend but had incredible bat speed and their hitting discipline was flawless.  One guy I recall was constantly popping up, but he put that pop-up into orbit.  He had a short compact swing with tremendous bat speed that committed to a D1 P5.   I've seen just as many large-framed pitchers throwing 90+ with two pitches with no control thereby plunking hitters at showcases.  Pitching coaches were drooling over these guys.   Again, it isn't always about results at showcases and camps.  Sometimes it is about desirable skills, and what that coach is looking for.

Also, an uncommitted recruit should ALWAYS be focused on other schools/coaches until committed.  Never, ever let up on the recruiting gas pedal.

As always, JMO.  Good luck!