Skip to main content

Reply to "First Impression - overcoming it?"

@BaseballJoe posted:

Thanks for all of the perspectives shared about this. My kid has only done one showcase. It was at a P5 school. He did fine defensively but could not hit the ball off of machine pitch. That’s the laying an egg part as he’s usually a good hitter. I was actually surprised that they used machine for hitting. Never been a fan of it because it doesn’t replicate real pitching for a batter. I’ve since learned that those camps are basically a waste of time if your son wasn’t specifically invited to attend by the coaches at the school. After the camp I only saw one kid and his parent pulled aside by a coach and overheard them making plans for a return trip.

I was driving by a D1 park one Saturday and decided to stop and watch. I knew the school was running showcases four straight weekends. My son was fourteen at the time. I figured it would be a good education. The team’s players were helping out. I knew one. I had a conversation with him.

There were 36 position players in attendance. After watching them all field and take 8 swings I had observations. I mentioned to the player I knew all thirty-six looked like potential D1 players with the glove and mobility. But, I only saw four with D1 quickness with the bat. I pointed out which four.

The player told me those four were at the showcase on the house. They were seen earlier at a PG event and invited. The other players were paying to be there and helping finance the spring trip.