Skip to main content

Reply to "First Impression - overcoming it?"

@BaseballJoe posted:

Thanks for all of the perspectives shared about this. My kid has only done one showcase. It was at a P5 school. He did fine defensively but could not hit the ball off of machine pitch. That’s the laying an egg part as he’s usually a good hitter. I was actually surprised that they used machine for hitting. Never been a fan of it because it doesn’t replicate real pitching for a batter. I’ve since learned that those camps are basically a waste of time if your son wasn’t specifically invited to attend by the coaches at the school. After the camp I only saw one kid and his parent pulled aside by a coach and overheard them making plans for a return trip.

My kid also didn't perform well off of machine pitch (in batting cage) at a D1 camp but hit much better when they were hitting live off of the pitchers outside. Some coaches only saw inside, some only saw outside...just gotta hope for the best in that situation I think and let it be a learning experience. I think nerves play a big part in everything as well.