Skip to main content

Reply to "First offer tonight!"

Zia2021 posted:
TPM posted:

No! NO. You never play one program against the other. Remember they are better at this than you are!

A sophmore in HS does not need to say yes at this time to his first offer. Do not decline but be honest and tell them that the you aren't ready. Plus Rob made a good point, 60% now with rising costs of education may be only worth 40% in 2-3 years from now. Plus always consider travel costs of out of state.

This is why committing so early is more favorable for the program, not the student athlete. 

Congrats to you and your son!!

Fenway, TPM, and others have given great advice. But I would counter TPM with a comment/question. If this school is in players' top 3 list, and they are making a good financial offer, what is the downside to a verbal commit for the player in this specific scenario? (I understand in general terms that early verbal offers benefit the school, not the player. So I'm asking specifically about this kids' specific scenario with one of his top choices.) I could envision my 2021 in a similar scenario next year so I'm very interested in hearing feedback. 

Vanderbilt, Florida, a couple others are deep into their 2020 recruiting, or finished.  Mid D1's have few to no 2020 recruits.  Schools are projecting what your son will be in 2 1/2 years.  But so are you!  And (I'm guessing, I don't want to reread the thread right now) you are not a baseball guy, at least like a college coach.  The further away, the more risk for all involved.  My guess is there is time for this school.  If you guys have been able to think through possible outcomes, the ones not in anyone's baseball dreams - Son develops like crazy, coulda gone to Big Winning State School, son doesn't develop, loses passion for game, gets injured, ten other guys just like him and he never sees the field, doesn't study and doesn't make grades, coach changes and new coach have their own idea of what a recruit is...and on and on.

But nobody knows your situation better than you.  Good Luck!