Skip to main content

Reply to "First Pitch Strikes"

My question is, how much should a pitcher "give in" to get the first pitch strike?

I realize it depends to some degree how good their stuff is relative to the hitters they are facing, and I recognize the value of a "get me over" first pitch curve in some situations but let's stick with the first pitch fastball for this discussion.

Should a pitcher be trying to hit a corner on the first pitch with their fastball or should they simply be trying for the outer or inner half of the plate?

This will be especially important for him to figure out this weekend as they're playing a team that has won multiple national championships and will probably make a run at it again this season.
==========================================
If you look at the original question the poster states he realizes the importance of a 1st pitch strike. Stats have shown this if you look at the overall picture. The link shows you a similar story.
To answer the question I think you have to be creative. The odds are high that a pitcher who has had it drummed into his head to throw a 1st pitch strike is going to throw a FB. I would rather not do that depending on the batter and the skill/strengths of a pitcher.
If you face a weak batter you can afford to go after him with a 1st pitch strike but a strong hitter can be more selectiv and creative. This is not the same as being incapable of consitently throwing 1st pitch strikes. There are batters/situations I would rather throw 4 straight balls to.