Skip to main content

Reply to "First Showcase Tips"

meads posted:
CTbballDad posted:

Meads, given everything you just mentioned, I wouldn’t return to a paid showcase until the summer of 2020 at the earliest.  You may even be able to wait until the summer of his rising senior year (if I recall, he’s a 2022) as he may need that time to get his metrics up to a college level.

Yes he is a 2022 grad, and we plan on not going to another one until next Fall.

As to waiting until his senior year to do another showcase. I seriously hope you are joking and that advice is not taken kindly.🤢  I plan on him returning to a PBR next Fall and every Fall to see how he has grown in his skills and talent. That is proper measurement, sir. 📣

I know my son isn’t in the top 20% and he has some growing to do, but being that he didn’t start playing until he was 14 against kids who have been playing since they were 5, he has caught up to and surpassed many. He is determined and works hard without me pressuring him. He has the passion and drive for this game unlike most kids who we saw yesterday at the showcase who didn’t have belts or clean pants or even tied shoes and many with no hussle. Some acted like daddies money will buy them a slot or a shout out. 🙄

I meant no ill will.  My son went to a few showcases and camps, but our concentration was the summer of his rising senior year.  In hind sight, those junior year showcases/camps did not amount to much. 

My son was always the best pitcher on his team, but he's also a slow grower, so he didn't have the metrics for a college pitcher until now.  Seems to me your son is in the same mold, which is why I made that suggestion.

The kids who get recruited summer rising sophomore/junior year are studs/early development and they go to P5.  Your son will need to make a significant jump, in a short period of time, to be one of them.  If you're targeting mid D1 or D2/D3, most of their recruiting takes place summer of rising senior year