Skip to main content

Reply to "First thought that pops into your mind: 15 year old with a full beard.."

GaryMe posted:

In all honesty, you have to really consider whether the kid is "playing down" or is a year (or more) older than your kids. I get it, some kids get that testosterone bump a little early. But some of the reason you see this is because people are holding their kids back in age to gain a competitive advantage for recruiting/scouting purposes. I was looking at a particular team's roster playing in Jupiter this week and I saw a name that jumped out at me. I don't personally know this kid, but I know he has been competing against my son's teams over the course of the last 8-9 years and I was surprised to see he was listed as a 2021 graduate. His PG profile shows that he will be 17 years old by the time he starts his sophomore spring season. That is just crazy...but it works because age is just a number and schools are looking at skills and physical maturity. He has a verbal commit listed for a P5 school...so it worked out for them. I always thought he was just ok, but admittedly had not seen him play in the past few years.

That's nothing, there are 2019s who turned 19 over the summer. The summer birthdays can be "double holdbacks" and still be eligible to play HS sports.