Skip to main content

Reply to "Firsthand Experience"

Hey Baseball Dad

Baseball Dad TN posted:
JCG posted:

Congrats.  Your son is going to a heck of a great school.  What other schools were in the mix, and why that one over the others?  More about the academics or about the baseball program?

There were probably 15 or more schools that were recruiting him after having seen him at his 3 showcases this past summer, almost all  D3 high-academic schools (Swarthmore, Haverford, Vassar, University of Chicago, Washingon & Lee, Washington University, and others).  He has a D1 arm, speed, and defense, but D3 size (5'-8", 155), and had a few D1 schools that expressed interest (University of Richmond being his favorite) without offering any athletic scholarship money.

He wanted to go to a great academic school where the weather's nice (which eliminated most of them!), and play--not sit on the bench for a year or two--for a team whose coach had connections with competitive summer leagues, as he has the aspiration and work ethic to see if he can play beyond college.  Seems like Pomona is a great school with a well-connected head coach, and is located in an area in which the weather is great for playing baseball outdoors year-round! Just wish it was a little closer to Nashville!

Baseball Dad,

My son plays in the same conference as Pomona.  Here's another thing to be ready for...two of the east coasters came home with my son for the Thanksgiving break.  We took them out surfing and they said "I'm never going back home"!  It was like twenty something degrees back home.