Skip to main content

Reply to "FIT"

I hesitated to make a comment here because my son's "search" for the perfect fit for him is over but the scholarship money [academic and athletic] has not been resolved and the official nod from the coaches that they want him and he has a legitimate shot to play for them has not occurred.

However, it was just like Catch 15 said. Until he visited this particular school, my son was torn between a school that had the degree and academic credentials with a good DI program and a DII school in the Sunshine State Conference that had, for my son, the "location, location, location" aspect to it. He wasn't that interested in this third college when I showed him the rosters, the stats and the website pictures of the campus. But, when we got there and toured the athletic facilities with the recruiting coach and he met and talked to the Head coach, that was it. I did not know it then but I suspected when he not his mother or me initiated the conversation with the admissions counselor. He would not shut up. This normally shy kid who almost always looks at me or his mother when a question was asked in similar circumstances really charmed the young admissions counselor. She gave us a pre-paid application and said unofficially there would be no problem with him getting admitted and told us how to go after the avalable academic scholarships.

So yes, the fit is there in his mind. I just hope the coaches like him and see him as a part of their program as well as he likes them and their program. I'll get back to you.

TW344