Skip to main content

Reply to "."

I got pummeled last time I said this, but I'd agree with what others have said above.  Flatground (pitchers) is something that seems to be of value for quite a few.  But Flatground Hitting?  Nope.  I've spoken with one person first-hand (a HSBBW member) whose son got legit interest and a very good offer shortly after he posted a single swing on FG Hitting.  Other than that, the best I've heard are from others who speak very vaguely but assert it helps a lot of non-pitchers.  My limited experience puts Flatground Hitting on par with a level just above unicorn poop.  I think the rate at which new videos are thrown up on it makes it such that the right coach needs to be monitoring it right around when your tweet drops.  Because no way do coaches have time to scroll back hours, days, etc to look at the ones they missed.

It's something that I think every position player does because you sort of "have" to, but you'll be hard-pressed to find many success stories where FG Hitting was the main driver.  The supposed FGH success stories that pop up will likely involve a prospect who also has a legit presence on PG, PBR, Field Level, etc, constantly contacts/emails coaches and plays travel ball.  But I'm not omnipotent.  Let's start a list of kids who posted to FG Hitting and that was all it took.  Until that list gets large, I'm comfortable saying that FG Hitting is simply one of many low value/small tools available to prospects.  But in this environment, I'd encourage every prospect to make use of each and every resource they can find no matter how small.  I'm not above tossing a penny in a wishing well and giving it a shot.

Pitching is simply a completely different story.  I was down watching my 2021 position player play in a Juco tourney last Friday in Warrensburg, MO and my shady spot (I ALWAYS find the shady spot) happened to be where a group of scouts hung out.  In 4+ hours, I think I heard one mention of some hitter (who wasn't there).  The remaining 3 hours and 57 minutes?  All they talked about were pitchers.  You'd sometimes swear that pitchers play baseball and position players play some other sport.