Skip to main content

Reply to "Florida High School Tournaments"

TA

I didn't respond to this earlier because honestly I am not that familiar with most of the high school tournaments throughout the state.

We just got our spring schedule for Santaluces High School and we hold a pre-season Classic with Cardinal Newman, Kings Academy, and Lake Worth. The following week is the annual Santaluces Slam with Atlantic, John I Leonard, Jupiter, Lake Worth, Olympic Heights, Pope John Paul, Spanish River and of course Santaluces.

Last year we competed in the Westminster Classic during spring break, it was a very good tournament but I believe due to the reduction in games allowed this year to 25 from 28 participation would have put us over our limit. The reduction in games this year for FHSAA schools will probably affect a lot of schools this year. Really don't understand the reasoning behind this reduction. The excuse I have heard most frequently is budget cuts, but I honestly don't believe that reason is valid. Baseball programs typically are 100% funded externally so the reasoning doesn't seem to hold water.

There is a relatively new website for Florida High School baseball www.sunshinestatebaseball.com that is doing a very nice job of providing information for and about the upcoming season. If you haven't seen it, it is definitely worth a look.