Skip to main content

Reply to "Football and baseball"

Mine played football, baseball, and basketball as a varsity starter for three years and chose to not play football his senior year as we had moved and offensive line was not real good and was going to several tournaments that would conflict.  He didn't play much fall ball his freshman year but when he did he pitched only in afternoon games on Saturday or Sunday.  His sophomore year through Junior Year played almost every weekend in some form.  He was blessed to be able to tell the coach when he would be available to play and the coach was fine with it. 

I felt it hurt a little because he was not at full speed during the fall but still was close and did great.  Coaches knew he was doing baseball after a football game on Friday night where he had played both ways and was the kicker.  I felt like maybe basketball hurt him more because he had to work real hard around it to get ready for baseball season but again he wanted it so he did the extra work many times by himself.  If the coaches are fine with it, then it works.  Mine always made football camp during the summer but rarely made any other summer workouts unless he was in town.  It just meant he had to earn his spot back every August when they went full pads which he did every year.