Skip to main content

Reply to "Football and baseball"

The most important piece of info is that the coaches are working together and letting him play both.  My 2020 plays football and baseball.  I always joke that the football coaches encourage kids to play multiple sports as long as it doesn't interfere with football.  Football is king at our school and it is pretty much year round.  Playing football made my kid tougher, stronger and more disciplined.  It probably held him back in baseball to some degree because he plays QB and P and there is only so much throwing you can do.  It also hurt him with college camps because he was never at his peak.  Camps were always right after football ended or right when it was ramping up. 

I was just as guilty as everyone else, but parents and kids focus too much on college and the future.  Enjoy the now.  If your kid wants to play multiple sports, go for it.  He gets one shot at it and he needs to have as much fun as possible.  I've seen kids make very poor decisions in high school based on trying to play college sports, only to find out the college sports aren't all they are cracked up to be.  

Last edited by d-mac