Skip to main content

Reply to "Football and baseball"

I didn't compare using crack/opioids to football.  I used it as an analogy as it relates to the poster's comment offering only two known bad choices when there are plenty of other better choices.  I will throw this comparison out there, though... one study shows that well over 90% of those playing football at a high level (99% for one fairly large group), show clear presence of CTE.  That certainly puts the danger risk in the range of smoking and boxing.  Do it long enough (and it doesn't have to be all that long) and there will almost certainly be significant consequences.  Would you let or encourage your teen to take up smoking or boxing?    There are certainly redeeming qualities to boxing. 

"... but it's not like the NFL."   -   My son's multiple and significant concussion issues occurred  mostly during HS age.  Several of my son's friends who were aggressive football players had multiple concussion events playing HS football.  Having gone through all the consultations with my son's doctors, I am certain that those friends, too, will suffer long term effects down the road.  There is a young man that played at the same HS who had a serious head collision injury about 4-5 years ago and spent months in the hospital, nearly died.  4 years later, his brain is still recovering.  He will never be the same person.  It took him at least two years to be able to walk without assistance.  There is rarely a HS game that I watch played where there isn't a player from one team or the other that takes a hit and goes through the protocol on the sidelines.  The issue is far from being just an NFL issue.

Also keep in mind, we're not just talking about the single event of significant injury.  The research is clearly showing that the lesser but repetitive incidental helmet-to-helmet impacts are also cumulative and hazardous.  That is the contact that happens with linemen and anyone blocking or tackling several times every single contact practice. 

Last edited by cabbagedad