Skip to main content

Reply to "Football and baseball"

Maybe my view is colored by my son's HS experience.  He had one D1 player on his team, an Ivy leaguer.  He had a handful of D3 players on his team, and most of the players were far less than 200 pounds.  In a 12 game schedule perhaps 2 or 3 opposing players were D1 players.  They didn't tackle or have any contact in practice. This was not Trinity League, Bishop Gorman, Don Bosco, etc.  But it was D5 out of 12 divisions (CIF-SS), so there are more lower/smaller/weaker divisions below than there are bigger/stronger programs above.

My son played receiver and safety along with kick returner and most plays he wasn't involved in tackling or being tackled.  When there was contact he was doing most of the damage.  Of course I always worry about head and neck injuries, and I realize the risk is there.  Honestly, I worried more about him blowing out his knee or ankle. Maybe I had my head in the sand, but I'm not sure.  I just didn't see many instances in 4 years of the violent collisions that we see in the NFL, NCAA and perhaps very high-level HS football.  I agree high-level HS football with NCAA-bound players is a whole different thing and I probably would have pushed back on football if my son attended one of these HS programs.