Skip to main content

Reply to "Football and baseball"

I appreciate the discussion everyone. I am always open to hearing the other side of a topic. Cabbagedad and Smitty, I really enjoyed what you wrote.

I do think it depends on your situation. If the kid is 5'6" and 130 lbs and is playing at the highest level then it can certainly be an issue. What I watch on the field given my son's size, position, and level of competition gives me more of a comfort level. Again, I was not wild about the idea of him playing football for all of the reasons you are all citing. That is why I did a lot of research on it. Also, here in Texas anyway, the reduction in players has forced the coaches to address the issue within the way they teach kids now. Since he was on the 7th grade team they teach heads up tackling and protecting your body now. Concussion protocols are in place and baseline testing is free for all players. I'm certainly not saying it is "safe" now, and if my kid ever gets 2 concussions (none so far thank God) I have already told myself that will be the time to have a talk to him about dropping football for the reasons some of you have personally experienced. I just see so much positive out of it right now I am not willing to "make" him give up something he enjoys and gets so much confidence from. 

Also, there is a part of me that knows it will likely figure itself out on it's own. If he is throwing upper 80s by the time he is a junior and is still 6'1", then it will be obvious his future is as a pitcher, not a TE. If not, maybe football will be his only opportunity to play college sports - if that is even what he wants to do. 

Thanks all for your thoughts - especially the opposing views that included such thoughtfulness and detail. These are the things I wrestle with, and I appreciate reading others' experiences.