Skip to main content

Reply to "Football and baseball in high school"

Playing football should not hurt your ability to get to the next level.  If you play football correctly with proper form and technique then the chance of injury dramatically falls.  Yes even if you do everything correctly the chance of getting hurt is still there and even higher than other sports but thousands play football each year with no major injuries.  I get everyone's fears but most of the time they are unfounded.

Anyway - if your son wants to play at the next level he needs to have the academic and athletic ability first.  Without those you are wasting your time.  Now let's assume he has both then he needs to find a school that will offer his major that will lead to his future career then factor in baseball.  This should give you a list of several schools based on your ability to play at that level.  Get in touch with them and ask them what camps / showcases they are attending then go to them.  When there introduce yourself to the coach so they can put a face to a skill set and then go perform.  If you're what they want then they will take the next step.  

There's nothing wrong with contacting a coach and saying "hey coach I really like your school and program.  I would really appreciate it if you could let me know what camps / showcases / whatever you will be at that I could attend so you can see my abilities".

Now if you don't have a list of schools and baseball is the most important then yeah you probably need to go to everything you possibly can so someone will hopefully see you.  But being proactive is much more productive than casting a huge net and hoping to find a school.