Skip to main content

Reply to "Football and baseball in high school"

coach2709 posted:
pabaseballdad posted:

I don't think that missing the fall baseball recruiting season is much of an issue.  The issue for us was the summer.  My 2017 was our second string HS QB is freshman and soph year, behind a really good qb that ended up playing D1.  The problem for us was that his football coach was adamant that he be at every single practice, and 7 on 7 competition during the summer.   When he missed a "big" In the coaches mind- 7 on 7 competition, in order to go to a pro workout- the football coach flipped, and that was the beginning of the end.  I understand the coaches position on one hand- but for crying out loud, what are these kids supposed to do?    Anyway, son's goal was to play college baseball, baseball is his passion, he liked football, but not nearly the same.   In the end I guess the coach did us a favor, now we don't have to worry about the injury risk.    But I sure do miss watching my boys play under the lights on Friday night!

Honestly, that football coach is an idiot and he will lose out on some great athletes by doing things like this.  I love baseball and want all my guys to love baseball but that's not reality.  Some guys love other sports and do baseball because they like it.  If a kid shows me they want to be great at another sport then I'll work with them in the offseason so they can do both sports.  When baseball is in season they better be committed to me but even then I've let guys miss a practice to go to something that will help them get into college for other sports.

It's not the end of the world if a kid misses something during the offseason.

yeah, well we were 4-14 over the last two years.  He's no longer the coach. hopefully the next coach will realize that he needs as many athletes on the field as he can get.