Skip to main content

Reply to "Football and baseball in high school"

first of all, I will qualify this by saying that until recently- I have always been much more of a football fan than anything else. Now I'm having as much fun watching HS and college baseball as  I was a d lineman, played d1 football and was one of the lucky ones that never had a serious injury.  I still love football, older son is a d3 lineman, we try to make every game even though he's 5 hours away.    Older son isn't as lucky as I was.  He had shoulder surgery right after his senior football season, and was out half of the last two seasons for concussions.  He still loves the game and wants to play.  I get it, and I won't stand in his way.   He's at a DIII that's attached to a world renowned hospital, they are very conservative when it comes to the medical decisions and have all of the resources at their disposal. If they medically disqualify him at some point, then, that's life. 

My 2017 has verbally committed for baseball, but I honestly wouldn't stand in his way either if he wanted to play football, but thank the lord he does not.  He doesn't want to risk the injury, and I don't blame him.  Really is too much on the line when his dream of playing high level baseball is so close.    Don't know what my point is here- I guess it's that my wife and i have decided that we are not going to influence their decisions on football either way.  I know how important it was to me at that age, it was everything- my identity, all my goals, and almost all of my friends and most of my best memories as I look back- would I do it again and risk injury- yes.   A good friend of mine played for the steelers, had multiple injuries, now in his 50's and is in pain every day of his life,   he says he'd do it all over again in a minute.  I don't want to shield my kids from these experiences if it's what they want to do, but I'm sure not going to encourage them to play football if they don't love it.