Skip to main content

Reply to "Football and baseball in high school"

Overthehill posted:

Here's my two cents for what it's worth.  I am a football coach and ex baseball coach in Texas (head baseball for 21 years).  My oldest is a redshirt soph. D2 baseball player.  My youngest is a 2017 junior catcher this year.  My oldest committed to a D1 in July before his senior year.  He played QB and punted for us his senior season.  We played in Cowboy stadium in the state championship that year.  He had several offers for football and baseball.  My youngest was all state last year as a soph. and next football season is in line to be our starting QB.  They both played or play for a nationally recognized summer baseball program as well as making 7 on 7 practices and tournaments.  It can be done and my oldest has no regrets.  I think they really go good together.  The 7 on 7 helps with quickness and both are QB's so arm strength increases at the same time.  I guess I always have put the weight of injury risk on the shoulders of God and let the chips fall.  Neither has been injured in a football game and I have had 9 knee surgeries, a knee replacement, and a herniated disc surgery all resulting from injuries at the baseball park.  My son's will agree that you only get to do this once and if you want to play both, get after it.  

Lots of good info but this post sums up my thought process.