Skip to main content

Reply to "Football Recruiting Forum"

FWIW - based on being part of a HS with a nationally-ranked football team:

Football recruiting is significantly cheaper and much more streamlined than baseball. Everything goes through the HS coach; there is no such thing as travel football. (There are summer leagues but those are usually for previously-identified talent.)

HS coaches make introductions between players and colleges, based on player interest and skill level. Football also has a pretty efficient 1-5 star rating system. 5-star athletes are those who with potential to start at FBS schools as a freshman. Most standout HS FB players are 3 stars, some are 4 stars.

If, after speaking with the HS coach and viewing video on hudl, the college is very interested, they will send a staff member to attend a HS game. If they like what they see, the player will get an invite to an on-campus camp - these are usually held in the spring and summer.

Football recruiting is very open and late compared to baseball - players usually announce each college offer on social media and many make a final commitment just before the NLI is signed, in fall of senior year. With 85 headcount scholarships up for grabs, there is a lot of money available to HS FB players, even before contemplating NIL.

So a HS freshman has ample time to develop and gather game footage - hudl is the platform everyone uses. If your son is a true standout, you might want to consider finding a way to get him playing with and against the best talent in your area, so colleges can measure him against other players they know. I haven't seen or heard of a HSBBW for football.

And lastly, but sadly and I think by design, several talented HS athletes we know - guys who could easily garner a D1 baseball scholarship - are leaning towards playing football in college just because football has so much more to offer them in terms of financial aid, facilities, training, NIL, etc.

11.7 equivalency scholarships for a 35 person baseball roster vs 85 headcount scholarships for a 100+ football roster...it's just sad.

There is one player at a local public HS who has a 5-star rating. I've seen him play and it's like watching an NFL player vs a bunch of middle-schoolers. Top talent is amazing to see, stands out so much.