Skip to main content

Reply to "Footwork on backhand"

That's basically what I'm talking about on which foot is forward on which backhand. I pretty much teach 3 backhands.

1. A "normal" backhand where it's not difficult to get to but you wouldn't be in a position to round it and create momentum. In this one I teach right foot forward.

2. Do or die backhand where you are pretty much catching the ball while moving. We tell them to try and catch the ball with right foot forward but practice left foot forward in case that is how their feet end up.

3. Medium / slow speed groundball in front. In this one it's only for our 3B and SS to help them create momentum towards first. They approach the ball and plant right foot hard and use it to push off at a 90ish degree angle towards first but use the backhand motion to help get the glove up to a throwing transfer position better / quicker.

Overall we want our guys to backhand with right foot forward because it allows them to keep their shoulders open more to see the ball better. With left foot forward then it closes the shoulders where they have to work harder to see the ball although it does allow for more reach.