Skip to main content

Reply to "Footwork on backhand"

Here are the various backhands I teach with my players. Some of these will be hard to describe using words (it is easier to show using video), but I will try my best.

These plays are all determined by the type of groundball and the speed of the runner:

"Routine Backhands"
- Rake Backhand (V-Cut) As mentioned it is fielded with shoulders squared off to ball and off the right foot. Ball is then "raked" by glove hand to create momentum towards first base. The rake sets the feet.

- Regular backhand Fielded with left foot forward. Create tempo and rhythym with feet. I teach skip, field, plant, throw. Once the players get the footwork down, boy does it look smooth!

Then we have the "playmaker" backhands. These balls are further to the right in the hole (all of these are left foot forward):

1. Ball fielded with left foot forward. Dip the back knee and drive towards first base.

2. Same as #1, but this time we shuffle back through for the throw. Usually we will have time for this play if we have a slower runner.

3. For a ball deeper in the hole we will field, step, step, plant, throw.

4. Same as #3, but this time we do a Jump Throw (ala Jeter).

We also teach and work on dives, etc.

The main thing emphasized is bend the knees and get the butt and hips low (don't bend at the waist). Get the glove open early to the ball and get the glove on the ground. Then when we throw, we want accuracy.

Now, when I say accuracy, I don't necessarily mean chest high all the time to the first basemen. I mean a throw accurately to the bag. That could mean bouncing the ball, but it must be a throw that the first basemen should be able to handle (catch, scoop, etc.).

We teach the mechanics of these plays day in day out until it becomes natural, but most of the time we simply tell our infielders to be athletic and make the play.
Last edited by CatchingCoach05