Skip to main content

Reply to ""For Sale: SAT-Takers’ Names...""

Goosegg posted:

Not a surprising take. But a bit misleading.

It's not surprising that someone rejected would feel that there was some type of bait and switch happening. 

(And, of course, none of this applies to an athletic recruit  - which has it's own standard [starting with a big bat or 90 mph].)

I'm sure you're right Goosegg. I just thought it was an interesting take, and that others might as well. I've got three kids who each had completely different college application/admissions experiences, and vastly different high school resumes for that matter. I will say that the private college that my youngest is at right now, which has a 74% acceptance rate, is quite challenging based on what he has told me, and he was a good student at an academically reputable high school in our state and had respectable test scores on the ACT, as well as eight APs. I have a hard time believing that, once through admissions, when it  boils down to the actual undergrad coursework that he'd see the challenge as a night and day sort of thing at one of the "elite" schools. That said, he never really considered applying to any of those, other than a few NESCAC schools, mainly because they were out of our price range.