Skip to main content

Reply to "Force Play Catch Rules (LSU vs. CCU)"

Matt13 posted:

[...] NCAA requires that there be voluntary release on any tag play. Because the release was involuntary and unrelated to any illegal action by the offense, there is no out on this play.

[...]Thus, in this case, I might have an out (I only saw the video on mobile, so it was hard to discern when the ball was dislodged relative to the fielder's actions.)

I'm confused.  The first statement suggests the fielder has a burden to maintain control indefinitely.  Thus, the failed DP attempt I illustrated above would result in no outs in NCAA.  4-6, F6 swiped 2B, vacates 2B, reaches into glove, drops ball attempting to transfer for throw to 1B/F3.  No outs recorded because of the involuntary release of the baseball on a tag play.  That is contrary to everything I thought I knew about baseball, but sometimes rules are that way.

But, then you state that you might have an out ... particularly if things unraveled as stated by the OP (not a bang-bang play, but a catch, tag, moment, collision, ball rolls free).  How, after the first statement, would you grant an out in this situation between LSU-CC governed by NCAA rules?  Asking because I feel like I'm missing something, not because I'm trying to bust balls.