Skip to main content

Reply to "Format for your State Championships"

Late to the party, but I figured I'd throw my state in the ring. I'm in California. We don't have a state tournament. Mostly because we have over 1500 schools in our state and traveling would be insane if we used some geographical or population system to determine equal divisions. My school is in the Central Coast Section (1 of 10 sections in California) and our section has ~110 teams in it. 48 of those teams make the section tournament which is broken up into 4 divisions. Open division is the top 8 teams in the Section, this typically filled with elite private schools (this year we had 2 nationally top 50 teams in our Open Division). After that is the 16-team Division 1, 16-team Division 2, and 8-team Division 3. D1-3 are determined by school enrollment size. All individual league champions are guaranteed a spot in the section tournament. Each individual league is also guaranteed a particular number of spots in the tournament. The remaining teams earn entry though a power points system.

There are a lot of issues with this system from a completive equity standpoint. We're hoping to figure out a way to get back to a more even state tournament, but that probably won't happen any time in the near future.