Skip to main content

Reply to "Foul Pole Rule"

I umpired at a high school field in south Georgia years ago that had no outfield fence.  There was cemetary in left about 375 and it was in play.  Watched a ball bounce around from headstone to headstone.  In the park (cemetary) home run.  The first game I called there had unlimited foul territory.  no dead ball zone.  I asked them to please run a line down there before the next game so we had some clue.  A ball thrown from first to third went under a car and it was considered live.  There was also the unreal play by the third baseman who went two cars deep in the parking lot to catch a foul ball.  Greatest play I have ever seen to stay focused.  Problem was the kid on third tagged up and scored because he couldn't throw the ball through the backstop.  In my early years, I saw some crazy setups for high school games.  Had one field that had the baseball and softball back to back with no fences in between.  Only saw one game where both were playing at the same time.  The centerfielders could actually talk to each other.  Had a deep bomb almost kill a girl on second base.