Skip to main content

Reply to "Freshman Future Is Now"

smokeminside posted:

Shu, I get the feeling you're going to enjoy the ride as much as anyone possibly can, and not just because your kid is a good player.  Your head and heart are in the right place.

My third kid is trying out for his intermediate team for the first time.  Even with two sons having successfully gone before and even though I'm confident in his abilities, I'll be stressed out more than usual: he's a pitcher as well as a field player.  Every pitch he throws is a nail biter.

I hope there's a special place in heaven for the parents of pitchers.

Hey Smoke (and all the other pitcher parents out there),

Really envy you guys that have kids still pitching, miss those days a lot!

Use to love the days the boy would take the mound and the more pressure on the outcome the better (lol). He wouldn't ever blow anyone away, was just really crafty at setting kids up and getting them out. He seemed to perform better when something was on the line. His Mom would wear holes in the pavement behind the diamond pacing back and forth, chewing on her fingernails and covering her eyes on almost every pitch. She was a complete basket-case. Hated every minute of it. She would always come ask me if they could just take him out and put him somewhere in the field (haha).

He and I used to talk pitching philosophy all the time. What pitch to throw when based on the situation, hitter tendencies, count and who was in the box. I remember telling him to watch the kid take practice swings before he stepped up to the plate, notice the 'plane' of his swing and never throw it where that kid seemed to want it. The boy was a master and I could almost see the competitive ice water flowing through his veins. He would always look over at me after striking out their slugger, or after closing out a really important inning with a little 'glassy smile' on his face.

Wish we could go back to little league and start it all over again.

Enjoy the times as much as you can, you might end up missing them as much as me when they are over!

-DD

OK....Hijack over-back to your regular scheduled programming

Last edited by DesertDuck