Skip to main content

Reply to "Freshman Future Is Now"

While it's gone a bit sideways, I do like the idea of this thread.  We don't spend enough time on this HS baseball website talking about HS baseball, and the OP is correct - the future is now.

The first day of tryouts for real spring baseball is coming up here in CA very soon, and for a lot of Freshman (and their parents) it truly is a day that they have been anticipating and preparing for over past several years.  I know that when my 2017 was getting ready he was really chomping at the bit.  And I was highly stoked.

Other than grinding, attitude, effort -- all that good stuff - are there any pointers for players or parents just starting out their HS baseball journey that we vets can offer?

Here's a few:

For players, get your sh*t together - I mean that literally, not figuratively.  Don't be the guy who always forgets his belt or his cleats or his glove. Coaches will start thinking of you as that guy right away. Clean out your equipment bag now, wash your practice gear, make sure you've got it together and know where you're going to keep it  during class. And take an inventory after practice every day. Don't be the guy who leaves his glove in the field and has to embarrass himself by asking the coaches if they found it.

For parents, you can't and should not do the above for your kid, but you can give him the prompts to get it done. What you can do is fuel the kid properly. Make sure he's hydrated and has not only a good lunch, but something else to eat before practice.

For players, you can establish your qualities as a leader off the field first by taking pride in your field and equipment. Be the first guy to grab a rake from the shed, and the last guy to put one away.  Never let a coach carry a bucket of balls.

For parents, you need to understand that you're doing it for the team, not your kid, but find out what needs to be done. Does coach need help re-building a dugout, raising funds, running the snackbar?  He lost many of his volunteers since last season, and he needs help.

Also for parents, stay the heck away from practice. Literally nobody wants you there.