Skip to main content

Reply to "Freshman Future Is Now"

2020dad posted:
hshuler posted:
smokeminside posted:

Shu, I get the feeling you're going to enjoy the ride as much as anyone possibly can, and not just because your kid is a good player.  Your head and heart are in the right place.

My third kid is trying out for his intermediate team for the first time.  Even with two sons having successfully gone before and even though I'm confident in his abilities, I'll be stressed out more than usual: he's a pitcher as well as a field player.  Every pitch he throws is a nail biter.

I hope there's a special place in heaven for the parents of pitchers.

Appreciate the kind words, Smoke! 

I will say that when my son occasionally pitches, it's definitely more stressful. 

Amen to that fellas. I pace and go far away when he pitches. Funny thing is he had such a great year last year I started to relax and stay with everybody else by the end of the season!  With the nee season I am sure I will be back to pacing - at least in the beginning!

I think it's interesting that people pace or go far away. Many years ago, my son was pitching and a kid fouled one off. It hit a light pole, then bounced over and hit me in the arm. Big bruise, but no real damage. A little later, coach came over to find me and asked me to talk to my son. He was pissed and crying in the dugout because the batter had hurt his mom. Lesson learned--when son pitches, bats or plays, I sit in my seat, dig in my fingernails and keep my mouth shut. My job is to be wallpaper, to allow him to focus on his job, not look at me for approval or to see that I got up and started pacing. As he would say "mom, when you get nervous it makes me feel like you don't have confidence in me."