Skip to main content

Reply to "Freshman Parents PLEASE, PLEASE, Please take the time to enjoy this year."

BishopLeftiesDad posted:

I know this has been said so many times on this forum but it cannot be repeated enough. 

My son's old college team had their home opener last night. I went because I know many of the players and parents. I have watched many of the young men over the last three years, and heck it was baseball.

I know quite a few young men on both teams, and there parents. My youngest played with or against them growing up. I stopped and talked to some of them and the stark reality of baseball at the college level (even D3) was sinking in. I attempted to make the usual small talk, ask how there player was doing, and how he was enjoying college. Most parents were clearly unprepared to how little playing time there Freshman players might get. many were clearly unhappy. You could tell by there body language. Arms crossed. Shoulders hunched. 

Both these teams are pretty senior laden and have done pretty well the last couple of years. Your son is going to have a tough time displacing that senior shortstop, who has started for the last 2 or 3 years. All these freshmen are very good players. But so are the upper class men. They all started at least 3 or four years for their HS team and played every game in travel ball.  Yes that first baseman is struggling at the plate, But did you see his stats last year after a slow start. All it took was one good game and he was one of the better hitters on the team from their on out. 

Well let me tell you this. My sons career is OVER. He is probably dealing with it better than I am. I really miss the anticipation of the season. It is not the same if your son is not playing. I would give quite a bit to be in your shoes. Even if My son was the last guy on the bench and had little chance of playing. At least he would have a chance. I might get to see him throw out a pitch or swing the bat. I would get to see him with his friends with a smile on his face, hanging out with his friends. Warming up the outfielders.Shagging foul balls, He would still be part of the game he loves so much. He may coach and that may bring on other satisfaction, and  rewards, but that is still not quite the same as playing.

Please enjoy this time, enjoy the team, the players, being at the ball park, rejoice with them when the team wins and commiserate when they lose. Make it about the team and not your son. It will be over before you know it. This will be some of the most rewarding of your sons life on and off the field. Being a young man on a college campus can be very rewarding.   

Four years and it is gone. 

Just my 2 cents. It is over entirely too quickly, to waste a moment of it being unhappy. 

That was a beautiful post!  Thanks for sharing!  It is so easy to get caught up in the moment and not see the big picture.  This is a great reminder to remember to stop and smell the roses.