Skip to main content

Reply to "Freshman pitcher...What should he be doing"

Originally Posted by Borobaseball:

Let me start by saying that I am  not experienced in the whole recruitment process, but I am trying to learn quickly to help my son. So I hope this post isn't annoying to those who really know all about the process. I am genuinely looking for advice.

My son is a freshman, on the HS team and has mostly played 1B for years. He has done a little pitching through the years, but now has decided pitching is what he really wants to focus on. He is 6'4", 165 lbs and he has been told by several coaches and ex mlb players, that he has real pitching potential. He is pitching 75 consistently now and should be making big improvements with lessons, experience, etc.

Just to emphasize what other's have said, I concur that grades should be a big emphasis and that getting some "good" pitching lessons/coaching to help develop good mechanics.  

Strength and conditioning program, which the school should have, along with proper mechanics and his velocity will increase dramatically as his young body develops as they typically do from Freshman year through the Senior year.  And the old saying "practice makes perfect" hold true with pitching.  

Originally Posted by Borobaseball:

I am looking for advice on what he should do this year, his freshman year. Should I take him to a PG showcase?  College camps?  I am a single Mom on a budget and would like him to do what is most beneficial for him now. Any advice that anyone could share would be really appreciated!

Since your budget is an issues, don't worry about showcases or camps at least until the summer after Sophomore year.  Lessons and playing time is important.  So, when HS season is over, a good travel team that plays a lot locally should be something to look for that he can get more practice and experience from.