Skip to main content

Reply to "Freshman Son Confused at D1 Mid-Major"

@PABaseball posted:

I did not say he didn't need a summer league. The summer league would be very valuable - he needs reps.

I'm not sure what the benefit of the summer league is to his current situation. It doesn't address the issue of the coach not being upfront and honest about the players role. I believe that is a bigger issue than him not getting enough reps.

Guys 28-35 on the roster are not typically priority summer league placements. Who is going to the Top 10 summer league? The everyday starter or the non traveler? In the vast majority of competitive programs players 28-35 are the players who are not in prime position to become contributors. They're typically walk ons, injuries, or guys who are no longer anticipated to be part of the program long term.

How many non travelers are with the program the following year? How many non travelers end up becoming everyday starters the following year? These aren't digs at TimeFlies either - the situation speaks for itself.

Every non traveler in the past two years at our program is no longer with our program with the exception of one who has pitched 3 innings this season.

Lots of good information from everyone and I really appreciate all the feedback.  Right now we are waiting for exit meetings and I fully expect him to not keep his baseball scholarship.  Son is already thinking and planning on what he wants to do next depending on the outcome of the exit meetings.

My biggest question/complaint is how the coaches would literally lie face to face with a kid who is working his butt off and continuing to be a great teammate and only wants honest feedback.  I couldnt do it and be able to sleep at night. 

I want to be very clear I am not at all upset with playtime or opportunities - I understand the process.  We used this site for tons of recruiting information etc so nothing is a surprise except for the seemingly lying that is going on.  But, as others have said, maybe the coach is being truthful - I guess we will know in a few short weeks!

As far as summer plans - if he is "cut", would it still be worth playing in the summer league without having the College affiliation?  I fear the summer team coach would not have as much vested to give him innings, etc.