Skip to main content

Reply to "Freshman Son Confused at D1 Mid-Major"

The plan is to get the best players that can help their program.  If I'm  a coach, do I go after a Covid JUCO Player, who already has 2 years of college life, lets say (70 games) in 2 years, and has 4 yrs of eligibility Or a HS Player.

Note, we haven't done a deep review of the juco pipeline, but on quick glance it looks like the numbers have been increasing since 2019.

As we are all aware, the 2021 season allowed the 4 yr schools to have unlimited roster, thus many took advantage of the opportunity.

https://collegebaseballinsight...-pipeline-dashboard/

Note, as the JUCO coaches have improved their relationships with the 4 yr programs, they can easily sell a more finished product to a 4 yr school.

IMHO, The live streaming of JUCO games, provides a clear advantage of a players characteristic vs a HS players showcasing.

Yes. You get the best players to help you win.  But obviously, coaches are out there all summer long looking for talented HS players.  That still remains the main pipeline for programs.

Son was at a successful mid year  D1 and was able to compete every year because they brought in JUCO transfers. Not a program where many are drafted.   It's not filled with HS superstars. I think there is one 4 year college transfer now, maybe 2, not sure. Great JUCO pipeline here in Florida. 

The Sunshine State, also has many super talented HS seniors, or many  who do end up at either one of the P5 programs or perhaps out of state and many contribute beginning first year.

What's going on in fall practice? 

I do agree that P5 programs are bringing in a lot of P5 transfers.  I don't blame this as much on covid as the one time transfer rule for D1. JMO.

How many times have people here said, players should be able to transfer if a coach leaves for a better opportunity. Well here it is.

But for a player that considered the draft vs college and took the second choice did they discuss a development plan with the coach?   Are they playing?

Developing talent is a skill. Not all programs can do that.

Just sayin.