Skip to main content

Reply to "Freshman Son Confused at D1 Mid-Major"

@PitchingFan posted:

I will again reiterate that is not the case everywhere.  I'm sure there are some at the bottom of our pitching list that would say they did not get help.  We have 12 guys who have pitched at least 13 innings this spring at UT.  With three of those being freshmen and two are weekend starters.  Team era of 2.36 and it just went up over the past 2 weekends.  Son has always gotten help with changing pitches and grips to get more out of his pitches.  I think that is the same for at least all 12 guys.  I know some of you will say what about the others.  I would say many of them have gotten help but with 1 pitching coach there is only so much time that can be devoted each year to getting guys where they need to be.  Much of son's work after consultation with PC was on his own with tweeking during sessions.  Our PC watches almost every bullpen session and they also video every session.  Much of it depends on the player's desire to get where he wants to be.  Not all cases but many that I know of they are just not ready for the jump from HS to college.  For some reason, parents don't realize how big JUCO can be in development.  It is not needed for all but is good for most.

I will again reiterate that what you are describing at the University of Tennessee is the exception and not the rule. The PC at UT is one of the nation’s best and it appears that he cares about all the players under his watch - which is also the exception and not the rule.