Skip to main content

Reply to "Freshman Year Adjustments"

Great advise as always Observer.

If I might add to that....

Cards, as a parent of a college player myself I like to take these "hardship" opportunities and turn them into teaching opportunities for me. Now more than ever our sons will learn numerous things during this time that they just haven't dealt with before and/or aren't ready mentally, emotionally, or mature enough to handle. I have learned on some cases that when my son called seeking advise, I just didn't have either "a" answer or "the" answer and we'd just break it down and let him see his options.

It really is hard for players who were the most talented or gifted kids on their high school teams to be just another minnow in the pond. It's a humbling experience for them. I just reminded my son last year as a freshman that he needed to be that "team" player he was in highschool. And that he now needed to learn how to be roleplayer, no matter the role. There have been players before him that were roleplayers and there will be many after him.

Observer hit the nail on the head. Ask your son when (if) he calls what he thinks the Coach(s) would be looking for in him going forward, i.e. one that sits and sulks or one that turns it up a notch and works like a horse?

99% of coaches will hold an exit interview at the end of the season. Guaranteed the coach will bring up his work ethic and attitude. How does he want to be prepared to answer that when it comes? Good questions to ask him. Smile

Good luck. Let us know if he makes the travel team!

YGD