Skip to main content

Reply to "Freshman year college observations"

I know it is different but I don't think it will be much different baseball wise next year maybe even worse.  Mine would be the opposite.  Son was a 2020 so I know it is different from OP.  My son, I think, had a distinct advantage over the incoming freshmen this year.  He had last fall to gain classes and experience on the field.  He got to play in some early games last spring before Covid hit and was scheduled to be a significant part of last year's team.

For those who came in this year, they were behind the 8 ball in every area.  I think it also depends on classes or goals of college.  I think the online classes are easier in some areas and harder in others.

We only have 2 incoming freshmen who are competing at all and only 1 who starts.  I think next year will be even worse unless you are truly a stud.  The one time transfer rule will allow a lot of guys to go to other schools to compete.  Son is playing at a top 5 P5 right now and I expect us to gain a lot of one time transfer guys who are at non-competitive schools but who are very good.  I think if I was the coaching staff I would go after those guys to fill voids rather than counting on HS guys and guys who have not proved themselves in SEC play.  There are rumblings that a few big time guys at the bottom of the P5 schools will do the transfer thing this summer to go with schools that are at the top.  I think this plays out at all levels not just the P5 schools in D1.

If son had not had last year to prove himself, I don't think he would be where he is today and I think that will be the case for the 2020 guys.  Some of them have had a year to prove themselves and their worth whereas the next class will come in with fully loaded teams again and no experience.  Many of them will not be at their schools next spring.  When you only have fall to prove yourself and the team is full of older guys it will be hard to do.