Skip to main content

Reply to "Freshman's parents"

I am also a freshman dad. I would think that most people on this board their kids played select, travel, competitive? Whatever you like to call it. If they played little league there is a huge difference and that may be the issue.
A brief example about 3 years ago playing fall ball I had a parent tell me he didn't know this type of baseball existed. His son was an all star in LL and he couldn't break the starting line-up in a fall ball league against younger kids.
There are good parents and bad. There are good coaches and bad. Bottom line is everyone is trying to do what is best. The parents want their kids to play because they think their kid is the best. The coach puts what he feels is the best team on the field. He wants to win.
There is no right and wrong it's a matter of opinion. Parents should not get involved with coaches it is their sons responsibility to sit down with the coach (not before,after or during a game) and ask questions. Not about playing time but about what can I DO TO IMPROVE. Be specific, such as running, throwing, fielding, you may not like the answer but at least you'll have a better perspective of how the coach sees you.