Skip to main content

Reply to "Freshmen Season @ College"

@Francis7 posted:

We have many friends who are college baseball freshman now. They run the spectrum. Pitchers and position players. Juco, D3 and D1 players.

Just about everyone of them is struggling pretty badly in terms of their performance. But, is this unexpected? They are teenagers and (in most cases) competing against some players who are the same age as major leaguers.

I like to point to another college player that we know. He's a senior position player and he's raking right now - which is no shock because he was a dominant hitter as a junior and sophomore too. By the way, as a freshman, he batted .210 with zero power. So, freshman year is not often a prediction for future seasons.

The question is: What is the best way to help that struggling freshman player? I would imagine they are not in a good place and questioning their future in the sport.  Or, is it best to just leave them alone to figure it out?

i believe it is combination of the mental maturity and the physical. the kids needs to buy in to what they are doing, a parent can be supportive to the mental side and the non baseball side. I have found you need to stay out of baseball skill type conversations, there is nothing to be gained.

I watched my son go from starting freshman 4 hitter in game 1, to part time, to first PH off the bench, back to starter, to locked into line up because he is the best hitter on the team...he is a different guy now, maybe not quite mature man but getting close and certainly by college standards he is a grizzled veteran.

If they can play it will work out if they get the right support from home. It may involve a transfer, again support is the key not being the decision maker or leader of.