Skip to main content

Reply to "Freshmen Season @ College"

My son had a very solid college freshman season. His sophomore year his stats weren't as strong. I recall a weekend sophomore year which he went 1 for 11. The center fielder dove and caught a ball. The right fielder dove a caught a ball. He smoked line drive at the pitcher's head who threw up his glove up to protect his head and was lucky enough knock it down. One those crowd gasp shots!  I also recall one also ripped right at 2nd baseman. Somebody looking at the box scores would say he is struggling. I would say not so much.  I usually never bring up or start baseball conversations. I try to talk about other things. If he brings it up than sure I will jump in and just be a supportive dad! I always felt the last thing he needed was me in his head on my advice! I leave the baseball stuff between him and his coaches.

One other note...

I think sometimes freshmen may be taking a little more direction from their coaches in game. Your son may have had different approaches at the plate high school that he doesn't get away with in college. You can say the same thing about pitching too.