Skip to main content

Reply to "Freshmen Season @ College"

@Francis7 posted:

The question is: What is the best way to help that struggling freshman player? I would imagine they are not in a good place and questioning their future in the sport.  Or, is it best to just leave them alone to figure it out?

Francis - This isn't a unique situation.  It has been stated on HSBBWeb many times that first impressions by a college coach are lasting impressions.   Freshman recruits need to be ready to play against established college players that have figured it out.   Here's the deal....if the kid is doing everything (and I do mean EVERYTHING) the coaches are asking of him then most likely he'll get another shot to prove himself somewhere down the line.  A positive mental attitude, additional reps during the college summer baseball season, a willingness to learn and figuring it out can go a long way to turning around a poor freshmen season.  Essentially, it is up to the poor performing freshmen to change that coaches mind and demonstrate he has the tools to play college baseball.   

It is the guys that didn't get in shape prior to Fall baseball, who aren't coachable and won't make adjustments are the ones who are really in trouble, and probably won't be back.  There were a couple guys my son played with (in his class) who figured out their passions lied elsewhere, and didn't want to spend the time or effort getting out the coaches doghouse.   Two other guys figured their way out of the coaches doghouse and were 3 year starters.

Attitude is everything, and college baseball is no exception.

Last edited by fenwaysouth