Skip to main content

Reply to "From JUCO to D3"

game7 posted:

Thanks cabbagedad.

Especially this statement of yours:  "a majority of D3 schools are less inclined to look to Juco transfers,"  which confirms a similar impression that I had.

However, at this point, he's dead-set on D3.  He's hoping for the academic challenge and diploma-cred of a "second-tier academically-strong D3", to coin a term.  Maybe NAIIA is a better choice. But neither he nor his parents are currently interested in that.  On the other hand, the factor you mentioned above might be the deciding factor.

You also said,

"Assuming he went straight to Juco out of HS and competed two years with no lengthy breaks, I don't think he'll find much difficulty from an athletic regulation/qualification standpoint - others can speak to this in more detail (although I do believe there are timing elements with regard to contacting other schools)."

He did in fact go JUCO straight out of HS and I assume he'll complete his second year without any breaks. 

If anybody knows about the athletic regulation/qualification/timing-elements of JUCO to D3, please weigh in.  Thanks! 

Sounds like he has some specific D3 schools in mind... that will make it easier to research and figure out feasibility as a JC transfer. 

I believe some of the timing elements are similar to the HS recruiting process... the player can contact 4 yr schools but the 4 yr schools must have clearance from current school to contact the player up to a certain point in time.  This applies particularly to a player as you describe who still has another year of JC.  His JC coach will know and will be able to initiate the clearance, I believe.  It should be just a formality, since JC's are the vehicle to 4-yr.   Sorry so vague on this... take Fenway's lead and call that # or have player call.

Last edited by cabbagedad