Skip to main content

Reply to "Frustration Building"

Originally Posted by cabbagedad:
Originally Posted by tdkb:

Need the opinion of some of the more knowledgeable posters about my interpretation of PG info related to committments.  ...He and we are getting frustrated with the process because after being a standout for so long, he is still waiting for some school to bite.  ...  So totally mind boggling. Some schools have admitted that they just don't have the room but really like him. ...

Some of your dialog implies that you are surprised you haven't heard from more D1's and you have been sitting and waiting.  How much action is he taking?  Does he have his target school list?  He needs to be on the offensive, letting those schools know he is interested...  not sitting and waiting.  Sounds like he talked to a few who have stated they don't have the right opening.  Did he stop there or did he move on to his next set of schools to contact?

To my question- I saw what I think is a glimmer of hope that he may find a place to play baseball after high school.  On Perfect Game in the college committment section, that I check every other day, I noticed that the # of 2014 committments was 3,684, 2015 - 4,236, and 2016 1,174.  Is this correct?  Does this really mean that maybe 2,000 more 2016 kids will commit to play college baseball somewhere???  We were just running out of hope until I saw that even a 2016 still has an opportunity. Opinions.  Let me just say that I wouldn't wish this process on my worst enemy.

Yes, your math is probably roughly correct.  However, understand that D1 is top of the food chain and is most often first to act.  So the number of top D1 opportunities within those numbers is proportionately very low.  But there will be opportunities.  Kids get hurt.  Kids get drafted.  Kids have grade issues, or performance shortcomings.  Kids become unhappy with the school they are at for a variety of other reasons.  So, things can happen late as well.  To throw out an extreme example, one of my sons is dealing with this now with schools scheduled to start in two or three weeks (albeit not D1). 

A related side note... I have no idea what a 2 rating from Baseball Factory means.  If you gave me a PG rating, I would know exactly what you are talking about. 

No, not surprised we haven't heard from more schools. Just wondering why the schools that have contacted him, unsolicited, haven't pulled the trigger on an offer.  I believe he is on their board just not at the top. We have been on the offensive...emailed schools with is videos and the multiple newspaper clippings highlighting his performance in district/playoff action, attended camps, left voicemail messages. Some respond - most don't.  

Concerning baseball factory - the scale is 1-10 with 1 being the top.    

Happy to hear that most believe there are still opportunites.