Skip to main content

Reply to "Frustration in Finding the Strike Zone"

I agree with making sure his mechanics are correct first. Beyond mechanics, pitching control is a “feel” and is about feeling the release point, It can be improved slightly but not necessarily taught. I personally have not seen anyone with bad control issues past about 15 or 16 find really good control later even though I am sure there are examples. He is still growing so don’t let him  stress over it yet.   Pitching is also VERY mental.  Relax and continue to work, but everyone has different skills sets, don’t get caught up in the fact that his friends may have a little more control at the moment. 

My son was/is fortunate to have always had good control, but never got the extra 12mph or the ideal height. Currently pitching in college and probably had 2 or 3 pitching lessons his whole life.  We simply played toss in the yard and I always told him throw to a spot even when just messing around.  You/he will remember  those times in the yard, much more than  the hours spent in pitching lessons. Good luck and keep it fun!