Skip to main content

Reply to "Frustration in Finding the Strike Zone"

It’s tough to say what a good ratio is at that age. I would set small goals for him and not focus on what other kids can do. 

One drill my son does when he is pulling low and away is a rocker drill. I’ll usually set up between 45-50’. After 10-15 he is usually able to correct himself and dial in. Then he’ll throw a few off the mound. If that’s good I’ll move back to 60

Rocker drill is always good. Should be part of every warmup routine. Missing down and away is usually the result of not staying closed going down the mound. It is usually a chain reaction that starts with the toe of the stride foot swinging open and pointing directly at the catcher. When this happens the front hip opens too soon followed by the front shoulder. At this point the stride foot, lead hip, and lead shoulder are all rotating on an east-west axis toward the 1st base dugout. The throwing arm is forced to sling across the body throng to catch up with the front side and the result is often that the pitch is pulled down and away. None of that is what you want but almost every pitcher struggles with it. The solution is to focus on staying closed going down the mound. Start with trying to land the stride toe slightly closed (at about 2 o’clock).